So.. there is all sorts of ridiculously noisy construction happening in our dorm recently, actually it has destroyed all chances of internets in our room. Yani... no more Alyssa's computer! I must use campus computers, but this may be the only time I get to one before the endtimes :P Also this means that I cant upload pictures.
Aside from that I had an incredible weekend. Friday we went to Kadıköy to shop and celebrate 08/08/08, which is a really exciting day for me. It was lovely, I didnt almost die and I bought some cool stuff there. Saturday I went to Barışarock, an almost free all-day concert here. We were there from about 1ish (pm) til 2 or 3 am... it was a long day, but amazing. A few bands were great, most were just ok. Anyway, food was cheap there at least!
Sunday I went out to sightsee and/or shop with Michelle for awhile. That went relatively well, considering that everything was closed. See the plan was to shop at Kapalı Çarşı (the grand bazaar) but on Sundays it really is kapalı (closed :P) We didnt know that until we showed up. After that we were going to go to some other stuff, an underground cistern that's been made into an art gallery, an old hamam which is now just a historical building. These were also closed :( We did end up eating ice cream and then getting into a chat with some guys selling earrings, we sat down for çay with them. So after finding all of this stuff closed, we dejectedly walked to Eminönü on the water for a Balık Ekmek (fish sandwhich thing) which was amazing! Then to the Spice Bazaar ( I dunno the Turkish here.. uhhnnn) which, unsurprisingly, was closed. Bummer... anyway, we bought the stuff we needed from the stores around it, the ones that dont have to follow its rules! Then we went to see two more mosques, both of which were beautiful, I thought. By 4:50ish we were back in Etiler, on our way to Betül's (our yazma and konuşma teacher) to make dinner. We made a few American dishes and she and her friends made some Turkish ones.. it was lovely. Today was the last actual class. Tomorrow and Wednesday are tests and concerts for me.. then Thursday I leave. I know, who goes to 2 concerts on finals week? me? Ima be a nautical disaster by the time I get out of here..
I managed to fight off the ants that had viciously attack my room and chocolates last week...
Monday, August 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You need to let me know when your flight gets in so I can pick you up. I know you leave on Thursday, but with layovers, etc., I don't suppose you will actually be here until Friday. I would prefer to not have to hang around the airport for two days waiting for you to show up.
Geez Sue be a sport whats with sleeping in the airport overnight, Rachel will probably have to do that also. Just kidding!!! Have a wonderful trip home Rachel.
Post a Comment