Sunday, August 24, 2008

Last things..

So at some point I wanted to make a post continuing to describe my experiences of İstanbul with posts of my favorite themes of photography in İstanbul. I will do this, however, I must first post about my last week or so in Türkiye. Pictures that I couldnt post because of construction-related internet issues and whatnot ensue below:

Alyssa using one of the computers in the building where we had lab. These are the ones that have stainless steel keyboards, which I am jealous of, and obviously no chairs, which I am not jealous of. I like this building though.. lots of glass and shiny everywhere, except..

The stairs are this awesome frosted glass, which looks super cool. However, they left the writing on the BOTTOM of them before they were installed. That means that it cannot be cleaned up.. this bothers me alot and reminds me of the fingerprints on the İNSİDE of my turkcell screen (Whyyyyyyy?). These problems cannot be undone now, as they are on the unreachable sides.. D:

Here's the open-air theatre, ironically one of the few places in İstanbul where smoking İSNT allowed.

I liked this stage set-up, with the chandeliers in colored boxes and stuff...

Barışarock, the all day rock concert I attended for the negligible fee of 3YTL. This was taken really close to the time we got there, early afternoon.

I love that strange rocker-type people play futbol at concerts in this country. Notice the sad guy on the right, he cant play because he has a girlfriend he has to spend time with. :(

These obviously way cool turks came to block our view. I love their hair.

Riding bikes with flags around in circles on the grass in front of the stage... dangerous? Well nobody got hurt..

It gradually got more crowdy, which İS a word actually.

Making fires..
I'm not sure what this is or why they do it, but they do and I took a picture of it! Lies? not so much, I was recently informed of this thing here ... So actually, its a folk dance originating in the southeast of Turkey. Most places to have their own, but this one is called halay and apparently everyone knows it.. anyway, thanks so much Olgun :)

Colorful smoke! Colorful Hair! Garbage...?! İn general, it seems there are very few trash cans in İstanbul, I dunno about the rest of Türkiye though. Anyway, people clean up at night I think.

This is the food/buy stuff! area of the festival grounds, at night it looked prettier :)

YEY! I had to climb the only tree around to see them, well Osman helped me up cuz I'm short and he knew it was important to me. I wouldnt have been able to see at all if not for that. There was a dude who climbed like all the way up this tree too, which was awesome of him.

So on the last Sunday I was there, before finals week (if you can call it that) Michelle and I attempted our sightseeing adventure, the one where most everything was closed. This was one mosque we went to, Yeni Cami I think. They were both in Eminönü.

The bustling street outside of it, very near the CLOSED Spice Bazaar.

The other one was very pretty as well, as you see here. I also liked the cramped, winding, hidden staircase leading up to it... Rustampaşa or something, I dont really know

Michelle enters the staircase to leave..

picture from the stairway...

The street outside.. naturally covered by the ever-so-popular red and yellow flags... Sooo, later that day we went to cook at Betül's, our writing and speaking teacher.

Some of the foods she and her friends made. So good!

A random picture of North Campus.The building to the left is the library. I went there once, they had a whole staircase blocked off and filled with potted plants, I approve of it. I dunno the other buildings. North Campus seemed small, maybe its just cuz we had no reason to explore it much. To the right is a small bookstore, cafe and the post office.

Alyssa drew on one of the rocks at Simit Sarayı. Never fear, most of them were defaced before we got there anyway. I should have taken pictures of some of them as they were quite artistic or possibly whiny and poetic. İts too late now, I cannot go back! v.v

So I mentioned all the noise and lack of internet.. here is the cause, just look at all those toilets and countless other pieces of.. stuff. Anyway, this constitutes somewhat less than half of the.. stuff. Construction or Destruction? We report, you decide!

We had visitors to our room the day of the final exam :D. The white and grey one was a frequent in our classroom, very friendly and distracting. The black one was new and they wrestled around a bit in Rebecca's bag. They, and the one that ate Alyssa's lunch under the table, were shooed out before the test..

The hall filled with students waiting to take oral exams.

This is the street right outside of campus, the one with several little cafes and stuff along it. I randomly took this picture from the bus stop, as it was likely the last time I'd catch a bus from there D: Plus that guy walking down the street was dressed rather nicely.. anyway

I was catching a bus to Beşiktaş actually, for my last ferry into Asia... Kadıköy to be exact. So here's a street scene of Kadıköy... and

... a MANAV! This is my destiny, Betül even told me so.

And a really awesome candy shop! So anyway, later that night I went to a concert with Alyssa....

The same open-air theatre as before, but we were on opposite sides. The concert itself was pretty amazing actually, and still strangely smoke-free, such a rarity in İstanbul.

This is the first band.. I think, I dont really remember. See the problem was that there were two bands playing and I'd never heard of either of them. Anyway..

I think its the second band here.. but I honestly dont know. Alyssa, Heeeelp!

The ends of these concerts are pretty exciting, especially this one because both bands played together for awhile, there were 11 people on stage! Anyway, see all the gigantic Avea balloons they throw out for people to play with? Avea had sponsored this whole series of concerts actually. Plus Avea is super cool and has the best music video ad ever that they would play before, during the intermission and after the concerts. In any case, some people would hold onto these ginormous balloons and carry them over their heads out of the theatre. I never got a good picture, but it made them look alot like ants in the bustling lines streaming from the theatre below us. It was one of my favorite things ever.

They give really random complimentary stuff out at concerts.. so here it is, containing some wet wipes, laundry detergent, feminine pads.. dishwashing soap...

Sooo, the next day, after that last test, which was luckily not included in our grade since advanced and intermediate students alike got the same test, there was a baklava party outside the building. This is just about everyone from the program, some of them tired enough to sleep on high and uncomfortable pillars. Later we went to Cafe BU to hang out with our TA, Aslı, one last time...

Uhm, so it looks like the van outside is just sitting in the treetops? XD I like Cafe BU because there are no buildings higher than it in the immediate vicinity, which is the really annoying thing about sitting on the roof in most restaurants. I always got mad when I saw people
in other places sitting 3 stories higher than me.... That night...

I went all the way back to the SAME theatre, luckily Alyssa and I discovered a much faster way to get to it the night before, for yet another Avea concert (I'm such a pro at attending Avea concerts)... By now I love Avea but maybe thats because I hate Turkcell and the phone they plagued me with, or maybe its that awesome commercial.. actually there are a million reasons to love Avea. Anyway! I'm with Liz here and we're in the middle now :) I dont know whats up with the new Patlican signs.. near as I can tell it still means eggplant or something..

Me and Liz before the concert! I cant imagine why Alyssa and I didnt take pictures of us at these things. Actually a guy sitting next to us, who Liz ended up not liking at all because he snobbishly told her there was no smoking allowed took this. Anyway, Alyssa left this night to go tour around Türkiye... I was heading home the next day.

Yey! concert. It was strange actually, what with the orchestra and all. That was unexpected.. Unnaturallll

The billboard I hate.. because it covered up an amazing billboard before I took a picture of it! grrr. I finally took a picture, but it was a month and a half too late. I dont know why I included this actually... ignore.

Later I'll post more and try to wrap it all up a little

No comments: