Thursday, July 24, 2008

Some foods for the fans who requested it..

So at long last.. I'ma show you some foods I eat.  Unfortunately this might be boring for those of you who know about Türk yemeği already.  Ok well, it will either be boring or really funny, depending on how wrong I am about what this stuff really is, Ok so actually it will either be funny or just horribly and painfully yanlış (False!)  Alright, here we go...

So this here is ahh, well its a meat, kebap of some sort I suspect.  Look! tomatoes and rice, ooh my favorites!  We're off to a good start, huh? I dont even know what the first food I posted here is... to be honest, I ate this thing a long time ago at Ezgi Pide, where our friend Ufuk works.. I think this was the day he tried to explain to me what Urfa kebap was.  Alright, I'm sorry about this one, all I know is that it was DELİCİÖUS.. Moving rapidly along..

This is menemen from the hostel in Selçuk, and its sooooo good, I must learn to make it. Apparently its not difficult.  So its mostly eggs and some tomatoes and oil and such, sometimes you can get it with other lovely things, like sucuk!  Its best on bread I think.  Its cheap too.. muahaha.

Another wonderful wonderful thing, mantı.  I've heard it called Turkish ravioli too, to give you an idea.  These epic little packages of noodly goodness are smothered in yoghurt!  Sounds so so strange, but they go amazingly well together.  I think the orangy stuff is just seasoned oil.  I once had a mantı with tomato sauce in addition to the yoghurt, yummm. 

So this is my average, everyday school-bought sucuklu pide (mostly like pizza without the sauce).  I know that the sucuk looks deceptively like pepperoni, its not.. I greatly dislike pepperoni actually.  The school ones are kinda.. soggy? I dunno, there are much better... Ezgi Pide is pretty good for it...

Here's a gözleme, sucuklu of course, but they also come in other exciting flavors such as potato, mushroom, spinach, uh some sort of ground-meat I dont know the English word for, beyaz peynir (cheese that I also dont know how to say in English) etc etc etc...  Its like bolanee of Afghan cuisines.

Look, a dude making some gözleme in Ortaköy! (Ortaköy = pretty expensive district on the European side of the Bosphorus, its cool to be there at night..)

Yey baklava!  I hope you know what this is... because I cant describe the wonderfulness...

Sucuk... with rice and some shredded carrots, a pepper, tomato and some sort of delicious, vinegary/pickled? cabbage, which is that reddish stuff up there.

I regret that its hard for me to remember to take pictures of my food before its half gone.  I mean, I really should take pictures of like.. simit and such.  I'm still working on it anyway, there'll be more additions of food before its all said and done :)

Ohh here we go! I forgot this one the first time I posted this thing.. this is super important...

This is the bowl of Mado ice cream that harbored the glass shard threatening to ruin my trip and possibly my life (see last post for details)!  See how delectable and innocent it looks? it had lots of fruit, like apples and such in it.  There was chocolate and VIŞNE ice cream, along with two other flavors I dont know... those are prolly pistacho crumbs on it.. dunno.  Mostly the only important thing was the vişne and.. the glass shard, which got my ice cream and türk kahvesi free.. almost at the cost of my life.  The manager wasnt thrilled either...

4 comments:

Susan said...

Perhaps you should consider hiring a food taster.

Thanks for the food pictures. I hope you get some recipes. I think it would be fun to try to make some of this stuff. Without the broken glass of course.

Wendy said...

yeah when it is sampling day at your moms house let me know. I know better then try and cook foreign cuisine I can't even get a hamburger to turn out. Loved looking at the different foods. Even though it almost cost you your life to get them to us. Take care and eat carefully.

Susan said...

I notice there is no longer a link to Alyssa's blog here. Are we not supposed to look at her posts anymore? Or is it just my computer that doesn't show the link?

Unknown said...

It all looks so delicious! Lucky lucky!!