I'm finally posting some of the more representative photos from the İstanbul Gezi over a week ago. :D They are in no particular order either...

So this is the cemetery outside the first mosque we visited, most of them had cemeteries very similar to this one here. The building behind it is a tomb actually (most of the mosques had those too), and we went in there as well, it was pretty sweet.

This is a really old library, like the oldest building that was actually built for the purpose of being a library or something... I couldn't get far enough away for a great picture of it and it was closed because of the weekend, but I liked the building so I included the picture :D

I forget which mosque this was.. but it was huuuuge and very very beautiful.

This is inside one of those tomb things that most mosques we went to seemed to have.

This is sort of a blurry picture, but it clearly shows that mosques have beautiful artwork inside.

Really old church building that we didnt get to go into, but I actually got a picture from far enough away that you can see most of the building, which I found difficult in the tight streets of İstanbul... Besides, the garden across the way here is quite lovely, ne?

I like this picture because it shows the extent of the restoration work being done in some of these buildings. I couldn't really tell what this mosque actually looked like.

This is that really old church. I have more pictures of this than anything else I think, I loved it alot. Lots of the old artwork is intact, but most of it is just bare stones anymore. There were a few signs inside, an old Greek tablet thing and thats about it. I like ruin-y things :D

Fener high school! This building was sooo cool, and unique, one of my favorites. We didn't go inside here either.

This is the courtyard of what is now the Turkish Cartoon and Humor Museum. It was pretty cool. There were lots of pictures and things inside.
1 comment:
Wow! Great pictures.
So is that library as old as the one at Alexandria? Older? Does anyone know?
I wonder, do you know how old the University is at Istanbul? I would assume that it is quite ancient, but I may be wrong. I would be cool for you to be going to one of the oldest Universities in the world. Not that it isn't cool that you are there even if it is fairly recent.
Post a Comment